Fusion Connect Makes 988 Emergency Lifeline's Critical Mental Health Support Services Available to Customers
Suicide Prevention/Mental Health Crisis Hotline
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) will implement 3-digit dialing (988) for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline/Mental Health Crisis Hotline on July 16, 2022.
The 988 exchange exists for more than 80+ area codes that currently support 7-digit dialing. Transition to 988 (3-digit dialing) requires mandatory implementation of 10-digit dialing for these area codes.
The direct phone number,1-800-273-8255 (TALK) will continue to exist after the change to 3-digit dialing.
A change to 988 dialing may require updates to services our customers use, in addition to business/personal items such as stationary. Here are the types of services impacted.
- Life safety systems or medical monitoring devices
- Fax machines
- Internet dial-up numbers
- Fire or burglar alarm and security systems or gates
- Mobile or other wireless phone contact lists
- Call Forwarding settings
- Voicemail services and similar functions
- Internal extension dialing
- Website contact phone numbers, stationery, checks, Pet ID tags, and so forth
What Remains the Same
- Telephone number, including current area code, will not change
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the dialing change
- Continue to dial 1+ the area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls
- Continue to dial a prefix (such as “9”) when dialing from a multi-line telephone system (e.g., in a hotel, office building, etc.) as required
- Dial just three digits to reach 711 (relay services) and 911 (emergency services)
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community, dial these codes with just three digits
For more information and resources, and to learn more about the 24/7 mental health emergency Lifeline and Veterans Crisis Line, visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Director of Corporate Communications